Frequently Asked Questions
How much will I be compensated for my participation?
- You will be paid $10/hr for time spent in the lab and $20/hr for time spent inside the fMRI scanner. You will be paid in cash at the end of each session in which you participate.
Can I participate in more than one study?
- Definitely. We have many different behavioral and fMRI studies running throughout the year. Participation in more than one study is encouraged.
Do you provide parking?
- Yes. We have free, gated visitor parking (for older participants only) adjacent to our building. We also provide parking passes for the parking garage near the scanner for fMRI studies.
Will I be compensated for travel time?
- Participants ages 60 to 85 will be compensated for the average time (using mapquest driving directions) that it takes to travel to/from our lab.
My spouse or friend is interested in participating as well. Can the two of us come at the same time and participate together?
- Yes. While we don’t always have the facilities to run both of you through the experiment at the same exact time, we can stagger your activities so that as long as each of you doesn’t mind a little extra ‘waiting time’, you can still drive in with your spouse or friend.
I live far away, but occasionally make trips to the Duke University area. Can I arrange in advance to participate at a convenient time?
- Yes. We can schedule study appointments far in advance and even accommodate you with special two-in-one appointments to reduce the number of visits you need to make to participate in a study.
I am a female age 18 to 30, but I know that I am not pregnant, can I skip the pregnancy test (for fMRI studies only)?
- No. The needle-free pregnancy test is required by the Duke Institutional Review Board.
I’m too busy now, but what if I want to participate in the future?
- Our studies are ongoing, so you can sign up now and we will contact you in the future, as new studies arise.